The Fernie Museum is proud to present Cabinet of Curiosities, a video series investigating the stories behind objects from our artifact collection.
This week, we’re taking a look at a half-empty glass bottle, mysteriously labeled ‘Burdock Blood Bitters’. What is in it? What does it do? And how much would Gwyneth Paltrow be willing to charge you for it? All these questions and more, answered by your trusty host and collections manager, Lindsay Vallance.
- Burdock Blood Bitters at 3 years of age, and at 60, Boston Public Library/ Flickr
- Burdock Blood Bitters (front), Boston Public Library/Flickr
- Burdock Blood Bitters (NRA Chihuahu, National Library of Medicine – History of Medicine / No restrictions
- Foster, Milburn and Co. (Unsettlingly Serious Baby), Miami U. Libraries – Digital Collections / Public domain
- Foster, Milburn and Co. (Kitten with ink bottle, Miami U. Libraries – Digital Collections / Public domain
- BBB Logo, Internet Archive Book Images / No restrictions
- Burdock Blood Bitters Almanac & Key to Health-1884, Canadiana.ca
- Burdock Blood Bitters Almanac 1894, Canadiana.ca
- Burdock Blood Bitters Almanac and Key to Health 1887