The Fernie & District Historical Society is welcoming an exceptional individual to join our team as a Collections and Visitor Services Intern on a fixed-term contract.
Term: December 9, 2022 to March 31, 2023
Terms: 35 hours per week, 7 hours per day for 16 weeks
Note: Regular weekend work is required
This position will be responsible for assisting with ongoing work to organize, catalogue and digitize our extensive collection of artifacts and archives, as well as providing visitor services at the Fernie Museum. This position provides the opportunity for hands-on learning in a museum environment, including the proper handling of collection materials and interpretive services for visitors to the public facility.
The successful candidate will display the following attributes:
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or refugee status holder who is legally entitled to work in Canada and willing to commit to the full duration of the work term (December 9, 2022 to March 31, 2023)
- Between 16 and 30 years of age
- College or university graduate
- Currently unemployed or underemployed (working fewer than 30 hours per week)
- Responsible, punctual, conscientious, detail-oriented and committed to the care of historical artifacts and documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work flexibly within a team as well as independently.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, organize and prioritize work, use initiative and good judgement, and problem solve with guidance from policies, procedures and/or supervisor input.
- Meets deadlines, manages multiple tasks and adjusts priorities when necessary.
- Experience with business software such as Word, Excel and databases.
- Able to perform physical tasks such as bend, squat, grasp (lightly and forcefully), reach above shoulders, and lift/carry/push/pull objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Able to lift boxes up to 40 pounds
- Experience working in a museum, archive, library or research setting would be advantageous
- Qualifications in a related field would be advantageous
Applicants must create an account and apply through the Young Canada Works portal at https://young-canada-works.canada.ca/
Please email email@example.com for more information.
Application closing date: December 2, 2022