The Fernie & District Historical Society is seeking an Executive Director for the Fernie Museum. The successful candidate will have an interest in heritage and local history and will accept responsibility for the operation of the museum and its programs.
Success in the Executive Director’s role requires a full range of business management strengths including the ability to oversee finances, to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills, and to accommodate to the diversity of tasks involved in working within a small non-profit organisation. The Executive Director will provide the FDHS Board with management and administrative services, including but not limited to:
- Helping the Board to define and support the achievement of the Society’s goals;
- Implementing the Museum’s operational objectives;
- Maintaining and enhancing funding relationships including timely submission of grant applications and completion of all associated reports for each grant cycle;
- Overseeing sound and transparent financial practices;
- Managing the Fernie Museum facility;
- Monitoring and managing various technologies within the museum operation;
- Coordinating and supporting in-house and external programming initiatives;
- Collaborating with and directing the staff team, and, where appropriate, coordinating the work of the Society’s volunteers;
- Developing and maintaining productive relationships with the Society’s Board of Directors, membership, museum staff, volunteers, partners and stakeholders.
This is a monthly salaried position; salary to be commensurate with qualifications and relevant experience. A minimum of 12 hours over three days per week is required onsite, with an additional 12 flex hours per week for necessary duties such as meetings, events, and communications.
Application Deadline: Friday, November 20, 2021
Interested applicants shall submit their letter of interest and resume by clicking “Apply Now” button.
Interview Schedule: late November, 2021
Tentative Start Date: December 13, 2021
Application deadline: 2021-11-20
Expected start date: 2021-12-13
Collections and Visitor Services Intern
The Fernie & District Historical Society is welcoming an exceptional individual to join our team as a Collections and Visitor Services Intern on a fixed-term contract.
This position will be responsible for assisting with ongoing work to organize, catalogue and digitize our extensive collection of artifacts and archives, as well as providing visitor services at the Fernie Museum. This position provides the opportunity for hands-on learning in a museum environment, including the proper handling of collection materials and interpretive services for visitors to the public facility.
The successful candidate will display the following attributes:
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or refugee status holder who is legally entitled to work in Canada and willing to commit to the full duration of the work term (November 29, 2021 to March 31, 2022)
- Between 16 and 30 years of age
- College or university graduate
- Currently unemployed or underemployed (working fewer than 30 hours per week)
- Responsible, punctual, conscientious, detail-oriented and committed to the care of historical artifacts and documents.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work flexibly within a team as well as independently.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies, organize and prioritize work, use initiative and good judgement, and problem solve with guidance from policies, procedures and/or supervisor input.
- Meets deadlines, manages multiple tasks and adjusts priorities when necessary.
- Experience with business software such as Word, Excel and databases.
- Able to perform physical tasks such as bend, squat, grasp (lightly and forcefully), reach above shoulders, and lift/carry/push/pull objects weighing up to 10 pounds
- Able to lift boxes up to 40 pounds
- Experience working in a museum, archive, library or research setting would be advantageous
- Qualifications in a related field would be advantageous
The successful candidate will sign up for an account and apply through the Young Canada Works portal. Please email email@example.com for further information. This position is made possible by the Government of Canada through the Young Canada Works program.
Application deadline: November 20, 2021
Expected start date: November 29, 2021